Monday, December 24, 2007

Amsterdam, Finally

After Sean and I had to abort our trip to Amsterdam, I finally made it there when my parents came to visit me.   And a few days before 2008, I've finally managed to blog about it.


Look, how cute!


So, what can you do in Amsterdam with your parents?  A lot of art museums and the Anne Frank house.  The Anne Frank House is very crowded during the peak tourist season;  thankfully we visited after that and walked straight in.  It's the building with the dark, maybe black, street front.  


We went to Rembrandthuis, the Rijksmuseum, and the Van Gogh Museum. Of the three, my favorite was probably Rembrandt's house, if only for the tiny little beds inside of cabinets (they didn't need big beds since everyone slept propped up because they thought it was better for your health). I think I would have liked the Van Gogh Museum better except that I'd seen the excellent Van Gogh & Gauguin: The Studio of the South exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago a couple years back. 

And as promised by my Lonely Planet guide, that green metal thing is an open-air urinal (actually two, one on each end).  



No comments: